It is January 2021. Which is so freaking WEIRD to type. Honestly, I can’t even wrap my head around this. I’m hoping 2021 brings me new and better things than this year does!
I saw that Dini had done this, and so I decided that I wanted to give it a try as well. This was created by Jamie @ The Perpetual Page Turner.
This page looks long…but it has a lot of images!
Anyways, I suppose you want to get to the meat of this post!!
2020 Reading Stats
Number of Books You Read: 407
Number of Re-reads: 16
Genre You Read the Most From: YA/Fantasy/Historical Fiction
1. Best Book You Read In 2020?
This one is really tough — I had two top books of the year, so I’ll divide it into Adult/Young Adult.
The adult book is…..From Blood and Ash. I just fell in love with Poppy & this world.
And the young adult book is…Crush!
I just absolutely loved this book. It destroyed me in the best way!
2. Book You Were Excited About & Thought You Were Going To Love More But Didn’t?
I’ve got two for this…the first was an ARC I thought would be 100% totally for me. And the writing just ended up falling so FLAT and juvenile that I didn’t like it. You can read my review here.
The second book that fell flat to me was Scavenge the Stars. I picked up the OC version in my used bookstore, and just…it didn’t do it for me. I don’t think I even posted a review of it on my site. You can read my GR review here.
3. Most surprising (in a good way or bad way) book you read?
I seriously got into Regency Romance this past summer and did not expect to love it as much as I did. This one really surprised me and made me absolutely devour more books. I was so delighted to see it come to screen last month!
4. Book You “Pushed” The Most People To Read (And They Did)?
Probably Kingdom of the Wicked or Mexican Gothic! Read my reviews of them here (KOTW) and here (MG).
5. Best series you started in 2020? Best Sequel? Best Series Ender of 2020?
Any of the JLA book series I started this year! As well as Raybearer and A Song of Wraiths and Ruin.
This should come as no surprise…but Crush was definitely the best sequel.
Best series ender:
One of two Ember Queen (review) or The Faithless Hawk (review). Both were excellent book conclusions!
6. Favorite new author you discovered in 2020?
Anything by Jennifer L Armentrout. Holy!!! I am now obsessed with her stuff!
7. Best book from a genre you don’t typically read/was out of your comfort zone?
I generally don’t like Sci-Fi or dystopian, but Samantha Shannon does such a great job with The Bone Season and I absolutely love it.
8. Most action-packed/thrilling/unputdownable book of the year?
This book had SO MUCH going on, but I was obsessed with it and I read it in one sitting! Super excited for book 2! It was thrilling and action packed!
9. Book You Read In 2020 That You Would Be MOST Likely To Re-Read Next Year?
The House in the Cerulean Sea.
10. Favorite cover of a book you read in 2020?
That is difficult, so here is a compilation of covers I adored.
11. Most memorable character of 2020?
Poppy or Addie for me!
12. Most beautifully written book read in 2020?
That’s going to be Addie LaRue or The House in the Cerulean Sea.
13. Most Thought-Provoking/ Life-Changing Book of 2020?
This and Stamped (YA Version) were excellent reads this year.
14. Book you can’t believe you waited UNTIL 2020 to finally read?
It’s out there, but I couldn’t believe I didn’t read The Darkest Part of the Forest by Holly Black before now. I guess I worried it wouldn’t be as good as TFOTA series.
15. Favorite Passage/Quote From A Book You Read In 2020?
From Blood & Ash: “Nothing is ever simple. And when it is, it’s rarely every worth it.”
House in the Cerulean Sea: “We should always make time for the things we like. If we don’t, we might forget how to be happy.”
Addie LaRue: “Books, she has found, are a way to live a thousand lives–or to find strength in a very long one.”
16.Shortest & Longest Book You Read In 2020?
17. Book That Shocked You The Most
Yeah, these two were both shocking!
18. OTP OF THE YEAR (you will go down with this ship!)
19. Favorite Non-Romantic Relationship Of The Year
The family-ness of this. It’s SO SWEET.
20. Favorite Book You Read in 2020 From An Author You’ve Read Previously
21. Best Book You Read In 2020 That You Read Based SOLELY On A Recommendation From Somebody Else/Peer Pressure/Bookstagram, Etc.:
Big surprise, haha.
22. Newest fictional crush from a book you read in 2020?
I don’t really do crushes…but maybe Hawke?
23. Best 2020 debut you read?
I’m not picking one. I’m picking a few.
24. Best Worldbuilding/Most Vivid Setting You Read This Year?
I’m picking The Dark Elements series, because I felt it was REALLY vivid for me!
25. Book That Put A Smile On Your Face/Was The Most FUN To Read?
No contest. This one.
26. Book That Made You Cry Or Nearly Cry in 2020?
27. Hidden Gem Of The Year?
This was super adorable, and I am not normally a contemporary fan! Read my review.
28. Book That Crushed Your Soul?
One part in this book absolutely destroyed me.
29. Most Unique Book You Read In 2020?
Gideon the Ninth was so weird…but good…and unique. IDK even know now.
30. Book That Made You The Most Mad (doesn’t necessarily mean you didn’t like it)?
FFFFF. Probably this one because I liked it up till the last like 10 pages and then it made me MAD.
Your Blogging/Bookish Life
New favorite book blog/Bookstagram/Youtube channel you discovered in 2020?
Hmmm….I feel like I discovered a few. But uh, yeah. I don’t remember if it was in 2020 or not. Let’s just say I discovered booktube this year.
2. Favorite post you wrote in 2020?
I quite love my Evolution of Bookshelves post. It makes me remember how much I love collecting!
3. Favorite bookish related photo you took in 2020?
I really like this one.
But I also really like this one:
4. Best bookish event that you participated in (author signings, festivals, virtual events, etc.)?
I went to a few YALLWEST and YALLFEST panels.
5. Best moment of bookish/blogging life in 2020?
I hit 3k on IG this year! So that was really exciting!
6. Most challenging thing about blogging or your reading life this year?
Consistency. Between Covid, work and grad school I got thrown off my rhythm.
7. Most Popular Post This Year On Your Blog (whether it be by comments or views)?
My evolution of bookshelves.
8. Post You Wished Got A Little More Love?
None, because I did not update much this year.
9. Best bookish discover (book related sites, book stores, etc.)?
Booktube. It was booktube.
10. Did you complete any reading challenges or goals that you had set for yourself at the beginning of this year?
I hit 400 books this year!!!!
1. One Book You Didn’t Get To In 2020 But Will Be Your Number 1 Priority in 2021?
2. Book You Are Most Anticipating For 2021 (non-debut)?
A Court of Silver Flames? A Crown of Gilded Bones.
3. 2021 Debut You Are Most Anticipating?
Sweet & Bitter Magic, There Hollow Vows atm.
4. Series Ending/A Sequel You Are Most Anticipating in 2021?
I don’t know if any of the series I’m reading end next year!
5. One Thing You Hope To Accomplish Or Do In Your Reading/Blogging Life In 2021?
Get organized, get to 5k on bookstagram and post regularly on my blog and booktube.
6. A 2021 Release You’ve Already Read & Recommend To Everyone (if applicable):
Down Comes the Night! It was excellent!
Thank you for sticking with me until the end! How did your year stack up? What do you want to read next year?
5 thoughts on “End Of Year Book Survey 2020”
I wish I could read as much as you! I definitely want to read crave!
Oh my gosh wow 407 books!!! That’s incredible 🙂 There are some fab reads on here. I need to pick up the Crave series and also re-read From Blood and Ash!
congrats on your reading!!
You’re read some amazing books – so many of these are on my TBR. Also yes to Gideon the Ninth!!!
omg i havent read horrid yet but your reaction?? ok im intrigued